A second meeting of the Expert Team on surface processes took place during the last EMS conference in ZÃ¼rich and was kindly hosted by Meteo Swiss, thanks to Jean-Marie Bettems. The first part was devoted to the description on the database of in-situ measurements for local validation of NWP land surface schemes. This activity which is part of the COLOBOC project of the COSMO consortium has been endorsed by SRNWP in order to make the data available to our community. The second part was devoted to presentations on the current activities of each consortium on surface processes.
An important conclusion of the meeting was to encourage SRNWP consortia to make use of the dataset for validation studies. This action is important if we want this database to be maintained and enriched with more recent data. All members of SRNWP can register on the following web site and then download the available data :
The presentations given during the meeting are available below :
- Overview of SRNWP activities (J.-F. Mahfouf) .
- Presentation of the COLOBOC in-situ database (C. Heret and F. Beyrich)
- COSMO activities (J. Helmert)
- MetOffice activities (M Best)
- HIRLAM activities Part I (S. Tijm)
- HIRLAM activities Part II (M. Diez and M. Homleid)
- ALADIN/LACE activities Part I (J.-F. Mahfouf)
- ALADIN/LACE activities Part II (S. Schneider)
- ECMWF activities (G. Balsamo and P. De Rosnay)
- Presentation of the intercomparison project of land data assimilation systems (PILDAS)