A joint ALADIN/HIRLAM strategy meeting was held in Toulouse on April 26-28, 2016 from noon to noon.
The Aladin and Hirlam cooperation on limited area mesoscale weather forecasting de facto involves 26 countries now. The systems are growing in complexity and our services are asking for new applications (coupling with aerosols/ocean/hydrology, application in nowcasting, etc).
The Joint Declaration of the Aladin General Assembly and Hirlam Council of December 2014 identifies 5 issues that have to be resolved. One of them is: the identification of common activities and specific activities (possibility of core and optional programs).
Mind that, already now, some activities exist that are not commonly supported by all the 26 members.
The goal of this workshop was:
- to identify which topics are candidates for common core activities and which activities can
be optional ;
- and to estimate the implications in terms of technical and scientific code management on the algorithms development part and on the “sanity check” part.
As an outcome of the workshop, a set of recommendations to PAC and HAC will be prepared on how to :
- define a common core program for both ALADIN and HIRLAM, on which actual
collaborative work is possible. This would provide the technical and scientific foundation for the future unified consortium.
- define a common core program for ALADIN, LACE and HIRLAM, where, on some well-
defined topics, it is considered beneficial to share between consortia the study of alternative
- identify topics for which limited or no mutual views exist, on which participants will work
either on bi- or trilateral basis, or completely on their own, BUT for which the targeted parts
of the code are identified and for which maintenance resources for the code management
need to planned as well.
These recommendations will be presented and discussed in the joint HAC-PAC meeting of 22 May in Brussels.
Tuesday 26 April
- Introduction : 14:00-14:15
- ALADIN Strategy (P. Termonia, Aladin)
- HIRLAM strategy (J. Onvlee, HIRLAM)
- scope and objectives of the meeting (P. Termonia, Aladin)
- Dynamics and HPC : 14:15-15:45
- Physics : 16:00-18:00
- keynote presentation on Alaro upcoming and longer term developments (Radmila Brožková)
- keynote presentation on microphysics for Arome (B. Vié, Météo-France)
- keynote presentation on other parameterizations for Arome with a focus on turbulence (R. Honnert)
- keynote presentation on Harmonie atmospheric and surface physics developments (L. Bengtsson)
- keynote presentation on Surfex as seen by Aladin partners (R. Hamdi)
- discussion on physics core programme components
- discussion on work organization
Wednesday 27 April
- Data assimilation : algorithms : 9:00-10:30
- keynote presentation on algorithmic developments 3D/4D variational assimilation in the consortia (M. Monteiro)
- keynote presentation on ensemble assimilation methods for limited area data assimilation (Y. Michel)
- keynote presentation on surface assimilation developments (P. Samuelsson)
- facing OOPS: a challenge that all our operational and research implementations will have to meet around 2018-2019. Will we be ready ? (C. Fischer)
- additional presentation (R. Randriamampianina) : core and optional in DA algorithms development
- discussion on data assimilation algorithms core programme components
- discussion on other work organizations and on position with respect to OOPS development and plans
- Data assimilation: observations : 11:00-12:30
- keynote presentation on observation and data assimilation sharing within LACE (M. Mile)
- keynote presentation on the current situation of the OPERA project (M. Martet, from Météo-France Meteorological Radar Centre, DSO/CMR)
- keynote presentation on the use of existing and new observation types within Hirlam (R. Randriamampianina)
- relevant developments/new observations and products of interest at Eumetsat (JF. Mahfouf)
- additional presentation (R. Randriamampianina) : how to start with DA
- discussion on observation-relate d work core programme components
- discussion on other work organizations and on position with respect to BUFR to ODB, COPE and related software developments and plans
- Ensemble prediction : 14:00-15:15
- keynote presentation on Arome ensemble prediction at Météo-France (L. Raynaud)
- keynote presentation on HarmonEPS/GLAMEPS ensemble prediction (I.-L. Frogner)
- discussion on ensemble prediction core programme components
- discussion on other work organizations and on position with respect to sharing resources for ensemble prediction (the basis for the “inner, geographically based consortia” ?
- System aspects and tools : 15:30-16:45
- keynote presentation on progress an d plans for upgrading the LFI and FA file formats at Météo-France (Ph. Marguinaud)
- keynote presentation on Full-pos and its possible future evolutions (R. El Khatib)
- keynote presentation on verification and validation tools (B. Hansen Sass)
- discussion on system aspects and tools core programme components
- discussion on other work organizations and on position
- Extending the state variable, coupling with other models : 16:45-18:00
- keynote presentation on some work on this topic/example of situation on these topics within Aladin (Matjaž Ličer)
- summary presentation on ocean and wave coupling between the mesoscale and
climate research groups at Météo-France (A. Voldoire)
- keynote presentation on HIRLAM activities and plans on coupling with aerosols, sea state and hydrology (L. Bengtsson)
- discussion on coupling with other models core programme components
- discussion on other work organizations and on position
Thursday 28 April
- Code management Cycles and porting : 09:00-10:00
- the role of ACNA within the Aladin consortium (M. Derkova)
- keynote presentation on the use of Hirlam system concepts to facilitate phasing (D. Santos)
- keynote presentation on the evolution of new cycle production and basic validation and related challenges (C. Fischer)
- discussion on cycling and phasing
- General discussion and workshop round up : 10:30-13:00