This note gives a detailed description of the algorithmic part, for the benefit of phasing, remote installations and development. A theoretical overview is recalled for completeness with the technical section. A "User’s guide" is added for the general users of 3dvar.
- Formalism of incremental variational analysis
- Background error covariance matrix B
- Data flow and code organisation
- 3dvar minimisation
- 4dvar minimisation
- User’s guide : scripts and namelists
- Sequences of execution and Input/Output
- Most important namelist parameters
- How to check for the execution ?
- Frequently encountered ... crashes
- Domain definitions in ALADIN
- Aspects of the data distribution on MPP machines
The 3dvar ALADIN was also presented during the 1st ALADIN phasing and maintenance workskop, Budapest, November 2002.