The entire MG was exceptionally invited to attend.
This was an opportunity for the two groups to work together on preparing the scientific strategy for the next phase of ACCORD.
On 28 September, the ACCORD/MG met the NWP team of IMO (Icelandic Met Office) besides the EWGLAM/C-SRNWP conference, in order to learn more about the staff composing the team, their fields of interest and their organisation.
The Assembly held its 6th virtual meeting on Monday, June 26, 2023.
The main discussions and conclusions were on:
- Management positions: new AL for DA and Physics since March 2023, new CSS on the 1st September 2023
- White paper follow-on: The Assembly approved the ToR of the user representatives, as well as the ToR and the conditions for opening the position of the Documentation Officer (DO) (the call was launched in August).
- Machine Learning (ML) for NWP and ACCORD: The Assembly encouraged Members to be proactive, to join forces and to look for opportunities and collaborations. The Assembly tasked the PM to organize the preparation of a strategic approach on ML for NWP in ACCORD.
- Preparation of next phase strategy: The Assembly unanimously approved the procedure and timetable for preparing the strategy for the next phase of ACCORD.
- Communication on DEODE (DE_330)
- Membership: Latvia, Indonesia, NZ
- Information of Arpege-IFS software agreement
The Assembly decided to hold the next Assembly meeting as a full-day hybrid meeting on the 4th December 2023 in Reading.
The Minutes have been adopted by email.
On 4-5 May 2023, the Management Group visited the Tunisian NMS in the context of an ACCORD/MG visit to a Member Institute. The program of the discussions on 4 May is outlined on this dedicated article.
There was a shared feeling that this visit had been beneficial for both sides, for INM staff to have the opportunity to present their plans, their overall activity and meet in person a large fraction of the ACCORD/MG, and for the MG to meet the NWP team and learn about INM.
Throughout the two days, the ACCORD/MG appreciated the high quality of the presentations and the discussions with the team in Tunis, as well as the excellent hosting by INM.
All material is available on the ASW2023 page and photos can be downloaded from the ASM3: photos article.
A big THANK YOU to the participants, in-situ or remotely, who made this All Staff Workshop a real success.
And a big PERSONAL THANK YOU from the 1st CSS ACCORD for all the touching attentions on the occasion of the announcement of her upcoming departure (see photos).
More information and material on the dedicated pages under "EVENTS"
- MG regular video-meetings (every other Friday morning)
- Selection committee meetings for DA and Physics ALs, 27 February
- All Staff Workshop (with LTM meeting): Tallinn (hybrid), 27-31 March 2023
- MG visit to INM and in-person meeting: 4-5 May 2023, Tunis (hybrid)
- STAC spring meeting: 25 May morning (video)
- Bureau meeting: 7 June(video)
- 6th Assembly video meeting, 26 June afternoon
- EWGLAM-SRNWP meeting 25-28 September, hybrid meeting (Iceland) with, if possible an LTM meeting, and a MG meeting on 29 September
- autumn STAC, two half-day, in person, date and place to be defined
- PAC meeting, if convened by the Assembly
- ACCORD Bureau
- Assembly meeting, 4 December, Reading (hybrid)
New Area Leaders for Physics and DA
After the call issued on 14 December, with a deadline on 10 February, the selection panel interviewed and ranked the candidates. The Bureau was presented with the result of the selection and proposed an electronic vote to the Assembly.
On 20 March 2023, the Assembly unanimously nominated Benedikt Strajnar from ARSO as Data Assimilation Area Leader and Metodija Shapkalijevski from SMHI as Physics Area Leader.
The ACCORD MG is now complete, welcomes the 2 new members and has resumed their tasks !