I am a postdoctoral research scientist currently working at CNRM (Meteo-France) with Fleur Couvreux, Catherine Rio and Rachel Honnert. In 2017, I worked with Romain Roehrig and Aurore Voldoire in the GMGEC group also at CNRM. Between 2013 and 2016, I was working at ETH Zürich in the Climate Dynamics group with Tapio Schneider. Between 2012 and 2013, I worked at the UCLA Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences in the research group of Alex Hall in part of the NSF/PCMDI project on cloud feedback. I completed my PhD in the Laboratoire de Météorologie Dynamique at UPMC under the supervision of Sandrine Bony.
Keywords : Low-cloud processes, cloud feedback, climate models, climate sensitivity
My research consists in understanding physical mechanisms underlying how clouds respond to global warming, with some emphasis on marine boundary-layer clouds. I jointly use theoretical studies, modelling tools (ranging from Global Circulation Models to Large-Eddy Simulation models) and in-situ and satellite observation to improve our understanding in low-cloud change and variability, and their links with climate sensitivity. Recently, I have been working on the coupling between clouds and dynamics, mostly the ITCZ, and to investigate physical origins of surface biases in climate models.
I focus my work in analysing GCMs, such as those used for the IPCC reports with emphasis on the IPSL and CNRM climate models. I compare simulated clouds with active and passive space-based sensors (Calipso, CERES). I have also started working with 3D numerical models such as the recently developed PyCLES model.
I am currently working on processes underlying stratocumulus behaviour in part of the national ANR projet HIGH-TUNE project, which focus on improving the representation of boundary-layer clouds in climate models through the use of high-resolution simulations. My research interests are closely related to those developed in the CFMIP and the EUCLIPSE (2010-2014) projects and those highlighted in the WCRP Grand Challenge on Clouds, Circulation and Climate Sensitivity. I recently took part in the AEROCLO-SA field campaign that aim to understand interactions between aerosols and clouds over the South African region.
For 3 years, I convene a EGU session on cloud feedback and cloud processes in models and observations. More information about the 2018 session can be found here :
Since October 2017, I am part of the CFMIP Science Steering Committee
- Brient F.. Reducing uncertainties in climate projections with emergent constraints : Concepts, Examples and Prospects. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences [PDF] [Cover] [News1] [News2]
- Risi C., J. Galewsky, G. Reverdin, F. Brient. Controls on the water vapor isotopic composition near the surface of tropical oceans and role of boundary layer mixing processes. ACP [PDF]
- Hourdin F., A. Jam, C. Rio, F. Couvreux, I. Sandu, M.‐P. Lefebvre, F. Brient, A. Idelkadi . Unified parameterization of convective boundary layer transport and clouds with the thermal plume model. JAMES [PDF]
- Brient F., F. Couvreux, N. Villefranque, C. Rio, R. Honnert . Object-oriented identification of coherent structures in large-eddy simulations : Importance of downdrafts in stratocumulus. Geophys. Res. Lett. [PDF]
- Brient F., R. Roehrig and A. Voldoire. Evaluating marine stratocumulus clouds in the CNRM-CM6-1 model using short-term hindcasts. JAMES [PDF]
- Adam O., T. Schneider and F. Brient (2018). Relation of seasonal and regional aspects of the double-ITCZ bias in CMIP5 models to the atmospheric energy budget, Clim. Dyn. [PDF]
- Cesana G., K. Suselj and F. Brient (2017). On the dependence of cloud feedbacks on physical parameterizations in WRF aquaplanet simulations, Geophys. Res. Lett. [PDF]
- Tsushima Y., F. Brient, S. A. Klein, D. Konsta, C. Nam, X. Qu, K. D. Williams, S. C. Sherwood, K. Suzuki and M. D. Zelinka (2017). The Cloud Feedback Model Intercomparison Project (CFMIP) Diagnostic Codes Catalogue, Geosci. Model Dev. Discuss. [PDF]
- Ceppi P., F. Brient, M. Zelinka and D. Hartmann (2017), Cloud feedback mechanisms and their representation in global climate models, WIREs Climate Change. [PDF]
- Schneider T., J. Teixeira., C. S. Bretherton, F. Brient, K. G. Pressel, C. Schär and A. P. Siebesma (2017) Climate goals and computing the future of clouds, Nature Clim. Change. [PDF]
- Brient F (2016), Réduire les incertitudes des projections climatiques : le rôle des contraintes émergentes, La Météorologie. [PDF] (+ English version [part 1] [part 2])
- Adam O., T. Schneider, F. Brient and T. Bischoff (2016), Relation of the double-ITCZ bias to the atmospheric energy budget in climate models, Geophys. Res. Lett. [PDF]
- Brient F. and T. Schneider (2016), Constraints on climate sensitivity from observed low-cloud reflection, Journal of Climate. [PDF] [GitHub1] [GitHub2] [Media]
- Brient F., T. Schneider, Z. Tan, S. Bony, X. Qu and A. Hall (2016), Shallowness of tropical low clouds as a predictor of climate models’ response to warming, Clim. Dyn. [PDF]
- Zhang M. H. and 40 co-authors (2013), J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst. [PDF]
- Brient F. and S. Bony (2013), Interpretation of the positive low-cloud feedback predicted by a climate model under global warming, Clim. Dyn. [PDF]
- Brient F. and S. Bony (2012), How may low-cloud radiative properties simulated in the current climate influence low-cloud feedbacks under global warming ? Geophys. Res. Lett. [PDF]
- Zhang, M., C. S. Bretherton, P. N. Blossey, S. Bony, F. Brient, and J.-C. Golaz (2012), The CGILS experimental design to investigate low cloud feedbacks in general circulation models by using single-column and large-eddy simulation models, J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst. [PDF]
- Jiang J.H. and 29 co-authors (2012) : Evaluation of cloud and water vapor simulations in CMIP5 climate models using NASA "A-Train" satellite observations, J. Geophys. Res. [PDF]
- 2012 Doctorat en Physique de l’atmosphère, LMD, Paris, France.
- 2008 Master 2 Océan Atmosphère Climat Télédétection, UPMC, Paris, France.
- 2007 Master 1 Sciences de l’atmosphère, Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France.
- 2006 Licence Physique, Université de Rennes 1, Rennes, France.
- 2003 Baccalauréat Scientifique (Physique Chimie), Lycée Dupuy de Lôme, Lorient, France.